CIPO posted new and amended practice notices for several aspects of trademark procedures:
- extensions of time in examination – the office will no longer grant extensions of time unless exceptional circumstances are shown;
- filing of divisional applications without a specific e-service;
- transitional provisions for Nice classifications;
- renewal of applications that do not have Nice classifications; and
- temporarily appointing a trademark agent for dealing with Nice classifications.
For extensions of time, according to the Notice, the Office will generally not grant an applicant an extension of time to respond to an examiner’s report issued on or after the date of publication of this notice unless exceptional circumstances can justify why it is not possible to do so (see notice Extensions of time in Examination and to respond to a section 44.1 notice).
- Divisional applications and the merger of registrations
- Temporary Appointment of Trademark Agent (incorrectly says amended January 17, 2019)